Before buying a building, either for investment, owner occupation, or alternatively taking a lease, it is important to know what condition it is in. If there are defects / short life materials, you may be faced with unexpected expense or disruption to your business activities.
With respect to leasehold premises, there will usually be provision to charge the tenant a proportion of the cost of repairs and decoration etc of the common parts, external walls, roof and external areas; possibly to include other buildings on the estate. Accordingly it is wise to check these as well.
Solicitors will usually advise their clients that once they have bought a property there is 'no come back' on the vendor if inadequacies or defects are subsequently found.
Types of property
Typically Borron Shaw inspect and report on:
- Healthcare buildings
- Entertainment and licensed premises
- Retail premise
- Commercial Premises (Factories, warehouses etc)
- Converted buildings
- Listed buildings
Types of property
Borron Shaw will conduct market appraisals throughout the North West of England.
Extent of Inspection and Report
Clients purchasing for different purposes will have varying requirements. Borron Shaw will tailor their service to suit.
For the Investor
Typically Borron Shaw would:-
- Inspect the external and internal structure and fabric from all reasonable vantage points.
- Inspect associated external parts - hard standings, outbuildings and boundary enclosures.
- Inspect services - heating, cooling, ventilation, lifts, drainage, electrical, plumbing and gas installations, etc.
- Consider the repairing liabilities and service charge provisions in leases.
- Consider whether tenants are complying with their repairing etc obligations.
- Check alterations against licenses.
- Consider the extent of compliance with statutory requirements such as health and safety, fire precautions, disability access, environmental health etc.
- Research statutory approvals such as building regulations and planning permission.
- Assess repair costs.
- Provide a verbal report shortly after inspection.
- Provide a succinct written report with overview and recommendations.
Additionally Borron Shaw can
- Report on flood risk.
- Report on ground contamination.
- Arrange concurrent / follow up inspections by structural engineers, services, specialists and asbestos investigators.
- Arrange for deleterious materials to be checked.
- Undertake insurance valuations.
- Consider warrantees